Born of a need, pressing and immediate, the First Methodist Church of Lake Jackson came into existence in 1943 soon after the young city, itself, was being carved out of the "wildwoods" of the Brazos River bottom. It would be impossible to separate the stories of the church and the city of Lake Jackson because they are both made up of a people drawn together by a great war.
The need for spiritual strength and encouragement was great and mutual interest in a church was manifested among the people from the very beginning.
Recognizing this golden opportunity for service, Rev. Charles Lamb, of the Methodist Church in Velasco, and Rev. Bascom Merchant, of the First Methodist Church in Freeport, began holding services in the Community House. This work, which received the encouragement of Dr. Frank Richardson, Superintendent of the Galveston District, was soon underway and Rev. Merchant relinquished his joint duties to Rev. Lamb, who held services for the community until the conference convened in November.